Are the lions losing the title of king?
Known as “king of the jungle,” one of Africa’s most recognizable animals – the lion – prefers more open grassland savannahs. Though still Africa’s top “top predator,” lions are suffering immensely from a problem that affects nearly all of the continent’s predators: conflicts with humans. People who live near lions often fear them. They worry about their own safety. But, the main issue is a concern over lions killing domestic livestock instead of natural prey of zebras, giraffes, warthogs, various antelope species such as wildebeest and impala, and other wild animals. Cattle farmers, in particular, are killing lions by shooting, poisoning, and trapping them. Persecution against lions is drastically reducing their population levels. SAVE is trying to reduce conflicts between lions and humans in two areas of Botswana.
The project area of SAVE
SAVE´s work on the african Lion concentraits on two areas in Botswana. At first there are the last Liones of Boteti. In Makgadikgadi national park in the near of Boteti river are remaining only 60 lions. Is is one of the most endangered population in Africa. The second lion project is located in the famous semidesert Kalahari.In both areas SAVE ist searching for solutions to prevent the killing of the carnivores and saving their survival.
The Farmer-Predator Conflict
SAVE is tackling the most serious global threat to endangered African predators such as lions, african wild dogs, cheetahs and hyenas: human persecution. Many Botswana people fear that these carnivores kill their cattle and other livestock and believe shooting or poisoning the wildlife protects their herds. Livestock farmers who kill predators pose the biggest threat to these species’ survival in Botswana. SAVE and our partners are finding ways to help farmers coexist with carnivores instead of killing them. We focus on protecting these animals in and around Botswana’s Central Kalahari Game Reserve and Makgadikgadi National Park.
Respecting Human Boundaries
From the beginning of mankind the human was hunting for animals like the lion. At the present 4000 – 5000 lions are poached in one year. Shooting licences are sold for about 16.000 euros. Male adult lions are prefered by the poachers, whitch contains critcal changes in the social structure of a pack. When the social structure is destroyed the survival chances of the pack is reduced. The death of the alpha male causes an enhancement of the mortality of young lion up to 70%.
The thred of diseases
A devastating thread are deseases, whitch were first seen in 1995 like LLF and FIV. Especialy the southern Kruger national park is threatened by tuberculosis ans the FIV-virus. To both deseases there ist no vaccination known. The tuberculosis sattles isn tehalimentary centre of the lion and blocks the function of it. This desease is transferred from buffaloes, whitch are the main prey of lions. The buffaloes get the germs from domesticated cattle herds. The tuberculosis weakens the lion so he is prone to other deseases like the FIV virus, whitch will kill the lion in short time. This virus has been found at domestic dogs, pumas and jackals too.
How SAVE is helping
- Studying the animals in the field to track population trends, measure the level of human persecution, identify and address additional threats, and gather other important data
- Developing a cooperative outreach strategy with local livestock farmers and other land users to reduce the killing of lions
- Working with local schools to educate students about lions and other native wildlife
- Supporting children’s centers to provide out-of-school education programs to promote wildlife conservation among future generations
- Building the capacity of students and community members to become African lion conservation leaders
- Partnering with Botswana’s government to strengthen lion protection policies
Why does SAVE need your donation?
- Tecnical equipment like GPS collars, GPS devices, spyglasses, computer and software
- Communication tools like satalite telefones, radio equipment and internet connectionTransportmittel (Gelände-Fahrzeuge, Treibstoff, Wartung, Reparaturen)
- Means of transportaion like cross country vehicles, gasoline, upkeep and repairs
- Employees and wage payments, quarters, fares, traveling costs for scientists, assistents and path finder at sight
- Vaterinary madical care like madications, savetyboxes, animal traps and tranquilizer guns
- College tuitions for african students
- Information devices like flyers and brochures
How can I help SAVE?
Simply visit the HELP area on this website. You will find many suggestions how to support our aims and projects with actions and donations.